SOUTH HADLEY, MA – Amherst women's tennis topped Williams 6-3 by winning two of three doubles and four of six singles matches.
Amherst is now 1-0 in dual match play this fall, while the Ephs are 1-1.
The order of finish in doubles was 1, 3 and then 2.
The two Eph singles wins came from Maria Pylypiv who won at four posting a 6-3, 6-1 win over Sue Ghosh and Kate Pollan at six who downed Safi Aly 6-3, 6-1.
The order of finish in doubles was 6, 4, 3, 2, 1 and 5.
Down 2-1 after doubles the Ephs came back to tie the match and then briefly led 3-2, before Amherst closed out the contest.
Next up for the Ephs will be the annual NEWTT event next weekend being hosted jointly by Mount Holyoke and Smith that will close out the fall portion of the schedule for the team.
However, the Shoemaker/Curran duo will be heading to Mobile, AL, the following weekend to compete in the USTA/ITA National Small College.
"Losing to Amherst is always tough, but our fall season is about gaining experience and honing in on the areas where we can improve as a team," said Eph head coach Alison Swain. "Amherst is one of the top teams in the country and being pushed so early in the year is a really good motivator. I'm excited to continue working on playing aggressive, confident tennis on the big points. Overall, Amherst did that better than us today, but our team is an extremely hard working group, and I'm excited for what will no doubt be a focused and productive week of practices ahead."
Amherst 6, Williams 3
1. Kara Shoemaker/ Rebecca Curran (W) def. Jen Newman/Zoe Pangalos (A), 8-6
2. Jordan Brewer/Sue Ghosh (A) def. Maria Pylypiv/Riqui McCoy (W), 9-8 (6)
3. Caroline Richman/Safi Aly (A) def. Nancy Worley/Maya Hart (W), 8-6
4. Pastor/Stone (W) vs. Monteagudo/Camacho 9-8 (7-3)
1. Jordan Brewer (A) def. Kara Shoemaker (W), 6-3, 7-6, (4)
2. Jen Newman (A) def. Nancy Worley (W), 2-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. Caroline Richman (A) def. Rebecca Curran (W), 6-2, 7-5
4. Maria Pylypiv (W) def. Sue Ghosh (A), 6-3, 6-1
5. Zoe Pangalos (A) def. Riqui McCoy (W), 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
6. Kate Pollan (W) def. Safi Aly (A), 6-3, 6-1
7. Pastor vs. Monteagudo (A) 7-5, 4-6, 10-8
8. Li vs. Camacho (W) 6-3, 6-3
9. Hart vs. Sung (A) 6-3, 6-2
10. Stone vs. Min (W) 6-2, 4-6, 10-8