What do you do when your season as a head coach abruptly ends? How do you keep your roster engaged with each other, recruit, and prepare for the next season, not knowing when that will be? These are just a few of the many questions coaches have been asking themselves as they adjust to a spring unlike any other they have experienced. Here’s a snapshot of how a few programs are keeping going this spring.
Women’s Track & Field
- Virtual Workouts: groups of teammates have been connecting via zoom to perform the same workout together at the same time and, just like they do while on campus, encouraging each other along the way to complete the session to the best of their abilities.
- “Lunch Time” Drop-In Chats: The captains organized a day/time for anyone to connect via Zoom and have lunch together and talk about a specific topic. The topic changes weekly and covers a wide variety of areas.
- Mini-Team Check-Ins: The team was divided into “mini-teams” each with a variety of events represented. They get together via zoom or google hangout simply to check in on each other and see how they are doing and to talk about any topics as they come up.
- Zoom video team meetings
- Making fun TikTok videos
- Working out virtually together
- Highlighting alumni through Instagram and Twitter @ephwomensgolf and on Facebook under Williams Women’s Golf
- Dedication: Before they left campus in March, the team gathered together one last time at Onota Lake for an impromptu boat dedication ceremony to honor our Class of 2020 athletes.
- Conditioning: Team members are pursuing various athletic pursuits, all with different goals in mind. We’ve set up a GLOW online course for our team that contains resources related to various types of training ranging from running to erging to strength training to yoga.
- Recommended reading: The Amateurs by David Halberstam:
- Williams for Williamstown Support: beyond simply racking up meters on the road or on rowing machines, the team is supporting the Williams for Williamstown outreach project by attempting to collectively cover as many meters as possible over the next week.
- Motivational Monday clips: team members record and share video messages. The first theme was “Who do you stay home for?” Another theme was passing a tennis ball to one another through the video.
- Weekly Zoom meetings, sending messages in our group chat, and checking-in with how we’ve all adapted during the last month to online learning, living at home, and dealing with uncertainty.
- Williams Mask Initiative: Junior Rachel Cross and Sophomore Julia Pham organized a team initiative to make and send masks for hospitals to distribute in the Williamstown area. For more information, please reach contact Coach Anik Cepeda at [email protected]
- Well-Being: small group and individual settings to discuss our “virtual season”
- Weekly Team Zoom Night: activities ranging from yoga to teammate trivia
- #selfieSundays: players check-in and send a selfie in a team group
- Weekly fitness challenges and stickwork challenges: Some of our videos and photos are posted on Instagram, but most of them are housed in our GroupMe.
- Quarantine Takeover: Different players are taking over our Instagram account each week and showing us what life is like in their hometowns!
- Women’s Lax Alumni Coffee Chat Zoom: a way for the current team to hear from three recent alums who share their favorite Williams stories and talk about what they’re up to now.
- Big/Little Sister Program: Later this spring, we will be looking to start integrating the Class of 2024 into these team channels of communication.
- Connections: this active and close-knit team has been staying connected despite being spread out across the country with daily text messaging and social media posts sharing stories and fun happenings since leaving campus.
- Honors: Sam Goldenring ’20 and Will Kannegeiser ’20 were both named to the PING All-Regional Team yesterday. Coach Hillman is quoted as saying, “This took no one by surprise as both of these seniors are very strong golfers and were set to do some major damage this spring. They earned it and they have been an absolute pleasure to coach the past four years.”
- Team Zoom Chats: weekly with a variety of themes
Virtual Alumnae Day: May 2 – click here to rsvp – please include your families
- Coach Herman recorded an EphCast about CECiL (watch here)
Culture: continuing to be our usual supportive and silly team
Class of 2024 are on board and getting to know the rest of the team and learning about Williams via the outstanding Admissions webpage/resources and virtual tours
- Workouts: sharing workouts and staying in touch
- Self Scouting & Mental Preparation