Williams College SAAC Mission Statement: “Our mission is to improve the experience of student-athletes at Williams. We want to enhance the four years they spend here and offer the possibility of improving the situation for any individual or athletes as a group. In addition we hope to offer opportunities for our student-athletes to enrich the community around them and give back to Williams.”
Even a pandemic couldn’t stop the Student Athletic Advisory Committee from developing programs to help fulfill their mission. This dedicated group of student-athletes responded to the current circumstances to create several dynamic programs. Here are a few highlights:
- Get Out the Vote: started a social media challenge encouraging athletes to pre-register to vote and to challenge their friends
- Little Three Collaboration & Special Olympics: In coordination with Amherst and Wesleyan, participated in a 5k fundraising event for the benefit of Special Olympics.
- Mental Health: created and distributed goodie bags for on-campus students promoting mental healthy awareness (items included: a collagan essence mask, chocolate kisses, a note from Ephelia, a cow stress reliever, and ??????)
- Game Night: hosted a game night for first year student-athletes
- Physical Health: created friendly workouts and running loops to promote safe outdoor activity while being socially distanced
- Coffee & Conversation: arranged for gatherings with student-athletes to meet and visit with students of color for a casual conversation
- Halloween Scavenger Hunt: twelve teams of 5-7 members participated in a school wide scavenger hunt at Halloween to help avoid risky behavior normally associated with this holiday.
- Community Engagement: wrote letters of encouragement to elderly residents living in Hillcrest Commons
Tune in to EphTalk: A Look Inside Williams Athletics, Episode 7 to hear more about some of these efforts.